Monday, August 22, 2011

tomato and crouton salad

seeded from: quinoa salad
budded from: quinoa salad
shoutouts to: smitten kitchen

Dear jie-jie,

Tonight I made a tomato and crouton salad! I basically followed smitten kitchen's recipe but thought it was fairly similar to our quinoa salad so decided to not start a new seed. I think I enjoy pretty much all variations of bread, tomato, basil, and cheese, whether it's in a salad or a sandwich or in a pasta. You really can't go wrong with this combo!

I finally went to the grocery store today and it was really great to be back in my own apartment and cooking. Also, here's a picture of my kitchen! I figure I'll send in pictures of our apartment piecemeal so look forward to THAT!



Making (and eating) this meal was pretty relaxing after all of the hullabaloo of abby and ben's wedding. The wedding, by the way, was beautiful! I think everyone had a really great time and there was a good dance party at the end with excellent music. I got a couple of compliments on my dancing which I don't think I can ever take seriously, but there you go! I also scored a free bottle of the white wine they were serving so that's what's in one of the mason jars below. I'll let you decide which one.

Anyways, I don't think I'm going to post the recipe since I pretty much followed smitten kitchen's recipe. The only thing I did differently was not paying attention to the proportions, as you can see by the heaping mound of croutons on my plate. I also switched up the vinegar and used a fig balsamic vinegar that I'm trying out. I'm totally on a fig kick and have been for months! I don't want the season to ever end!

Ok, well I'm going to go read now. Hope you're doing well in Michigan and that you're not being eaten by mosquitoes! Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...yum. But I don't know if I think this is quite like the quinoa salad. Seems like the main similarity was the tomatoes and basil. Either way, it looks both light and hearty. You're kitchen looks great, and I remember those plates that you bought in Michigan!

    I made ginger lemon tea again, and I have pictures (although it's been cloudy and temperamental here, ergo the lighting is bad), so I'll try to post soon.

    I also made tres leches cake, which was divine. Somehow, I managed not to take a single picture of the process, but I'll try to find another excuse to make it.

    Mosquitoes are wretched here. I got bit on the side of my thumb (!) mowing the lawn yesterday. I have bites all over my arms as well, but being bit on the thumb just seems like such an indignity.

    Love and miss you, mei-mei!

    ReplyDelete